Saturday, August 23, 2008

Grand Tetons

Hey folks.

Back again huh? Even after I told you the end of the story? (the "we made it home part")

Cool. I'm glad you are back. I'd hate to think no one was reading this stuff *grin*

Let's see... Where were we?

Oh yeah, we were headed to the Grand Tetons.

The drive to the park from Nevada was rather uneventful. We cruised over to Salt Lake City and then headed north. This took us into territory we didn't realize we had been missing for a few weeks now.

We found GREEN! Up until this point, probably the last time we saw large areas of that felt like home containing beautiful fields of green grass and trees that weren't stunted scrubs or monster alien skyscrapers was somewhere in southeastern Texas. The green made things feel soo much more inviting. While I think the browns, reds and tans of the midwest are pretty, give me green anyday. *chuckle*

By the time we arrived at the gates of the park, it was again getting late in the day. I'd say it was probably 7:00 p.m. local time. And of course the park ranger at the gate said the first campsite inside the park was something like 2 hours away.

Geez! Who planned these things? Don't they know to put the campsite next to the front door? What do they think? I may see some things on the way in that I had forgotten to bring along? It ain't like this is the grocery store and I'm just after a gallon of milk and should be forced to walk through the entire store to find it. *Sigh*

She did say "inside the park" when I asked though. Turns out that after I paid my $18 to get into the park, I had failed to ask the right question. "What is the nearest campsite?". When I asked this before driving off, she pointed behind me and said, "a couple miles that way, turn left and it will be on your right in about a mile."

I almost asked for my money back but then realized it wasn't worth the hassle. The park entrance fee at the Grand Tetons is good for three days and will also get you into Yellowstone National Park which is north of the Grand Tetons.

We proceeded on into the park and to the nearby gas station. I had planned on cooking dinner, but the smell of food coming from the open air resturaunt across the parking lot was hard to resist. So, after filling up, we headed over and had ourselves a big ole hamburger. Dang it was good.

No comments: